copyright human of New York, Brandon Stanton
THE THEME: Portrait inspired by the “Humans of New York”project
PICZ gives you the opportunity to fight your shyness and get inspired by the work of Brandon Stanton, better known to be the photographer behind the “Humans of New York” project.
Humans of New York (HONY) is originally a photoblog that gathers portaits and short interviews of people taken in New York City streets.
The popularity of the site transformed the original project that aimed at putting faces on the different neighbourhoods of New York City, into an amazingly popular blog and social media phenomena, gathering today more than 20 millions of followers.
Brandon Stanton is still the eye behind the HONY project but he extended his concept and worked abroad taking portrait in more than 20 countries. He also collaborate with large NGO including the UNHCR for which he converted the European migrants crisis. He was named one of the “30 Under 30 People Changing The World.» by Time magazine in 2013. His books are best sellers.
His original project was however simple: take pictures of the people who make New York and show that it is only a mosaic of what could be seen as meaningless details that makes the City.
Today PICZ is challenging you and is asking to follow the same philosophy. Get your camera ready, make sure you put the switch of your social skills to ON and go out finding characters and stories next to you. Something interesting lies in anyone around you if you know how to look.
- Contest Opening: 14th of January 2020
- Contest Closing: 31th of March 2020
- Public Vote Opening: 1st of April 2020
- Public Vote Closing: 15th of April 2020
- Jury decision: by end of April 2020
CONTEST PRINCIPLES & NEWS
- One competition per quarter
- Open to all photographers based in Switzerland
- Free for Piczmembers
- 5CHF for non-member
- 3 pictures / per participants
- 3 professional photographers
- 1 x jury prize
- Jury composition -> check below
- 1 x public prize
- Electronic votes opens from 15/09 until 10/10
- 2 prizes every quarter
MEET THE JURY
- International photographer born in Germany
- Graduated from the School for Artistic Photography Friedl
- Published in different outlets including GUP, Yet Magazine,
Mashallah News, plsMagazine…
- Awarded with the Vivian Meyer Prize in 2016
- Selected as participant in NOOR-Nikon Masterclass in 2017
- https://www.claudiawillmitzer.com– https://www.instagram.com/claudiawillmitzer/
- French photo journalist based in Paris
- Started his career as assistant for Robert Doisneau then as official photographer of “Les Restos du Coeur”
- Published several books on the exile including”Le feu sous la glace” (Edition Parenthèses), “Rêves Fragiles” (Actes Sud),
« Istanbul peut-être” (Edition parenthese), “Les yeux brûlants” (edition Photopoche), « Le Cri du Silence » (Flammarion edition),
- Collaboration with news papers including La Tribune de Genève, The Guardian, Le Monde, Le Figaro Magazine, L’Obs…
- Awarded with the Bayeux Prize in 2017 (article in french)